In these past few weeks my belly has been getting bigger and bigger, with that has come some real discomfort. I’m experiencing tense round ligament pain and aches in my lower back while trying to sleep. Also, with these being the last few weeks of my pregnancy I have had birth on the brain 24/7. I’m also in high nesting mode and constantly thinking about how to better our home environment for this new babe and for the birth. With all that in mind I thought it the perfect quick sewing project to make myself a heating rice bag. I think it will be of great help to relax the ligaments around my belly, help me fall off to sleep and also be of great use during labor.
Now to get started you will need the following materials:
- 1/4 yard linen
- 1/4 yard of your desired fabric for outside of rice bag (I used 100% cotton)
- 4 lbs short or medium grain rice
- essential oil (I used lavender but some others that may be nice are tangerine or)
- 12” of 5/8” wide velcro
1. Cut Fabric
- two linen pieces; 20” x 9” each
- two pieces of fabric which will be on the outside of bag; 22” x 91/2” each
2. Place whatever fabric you chose for outside of bag right sides facing each other and pin together, folding back 1/4” of one of the both back and front of pieces. Press well with iron.
3. Now fold that same edge under 1” and press well with iron. Making sure that both back and front are exactly 1” wide.
4. Turn pieces right side up. Open up the crease that you just ironed (but not 1/4” fold). Center and pin the velcro to the right side of the fabric. Pin the hook piece of velcro to one side of the bag and the loop piece to the other side of the bag.
5. Sew velcro in place.
6. Close velcro and sew around the three sides of bag.
7. Trim seam allowance.
8. Fold velcro edge to wrong side, using your crease as guides of where to fold.
9. Now place linen pieces together (right sides facing each other) and sew together leaving a 3” opening on one of the short sides.
10. Turn bag inside out and it is now time to go get your rice ready.
11. Place 4 lbs. of rice into a bowl, add 7-10 drops of essential oil and stir.
12. Add rice to linen bag and stitch closed. (I shook all the rice to one end and machine-stitched the bag closed, up to you!)
13. Place linen bag into outside bag and velcro closed.
Voila! You now have yourself some comfort in a bag!